MEDIA STATEMENT: October 20, 2015
VANCOUVER — Merran Smith, Executive Director of Clean Energy Canada, made the following statement in response to the outcome of the federal election:
“Canadians have voted for change, and that’s good news for Canada’s clean energy sector and all Canadians who expect climate leadership and clean energy solutions.
“Canadians deserve a federal government that will capitalize on the tremendous potential of Canada’s clean energy and technology sectors. We welcome the Liberal Party’s commitments to do so and congratulate them on their election victory.
“The Liberals campaigned on a platform that recognizes environmental protection and economic prosperity can go hand-in-hand, and that clean energy infrastructure is a key climate solution.
“When you look around the world, Canada has a clean energy advantage: we have renewable energy resources from coast to coast to coast, the cost of renewable energy technologies are falling, and the market opportunities in Canada and internationally are growing every year.”
In its campaign platform the Liberal Party of Canada committed to:
- Invest $100 million more per year in the growth and development of cleantech companies.
- Work with the private sector to unlock venture capital.
- Shift subsidies from fossil fuels to ‘new and clean technology’.
- Support energy efficiency and electric vehicles.
- Create a $2 billion fund to support projects that would cut carbon emissions.
- Work with the provinces to put a price on carbon pollution and ensure more renewable, clean electricity is being produced.