Clean Energy Canada | BC Transit announces plan for fully electric bus fleet
July 29, 2019
VICTORIA — Merran Smith, executive director of Clean Energy Canada, made the following statement in response to the province of B.C. and BC Transit’s announcement that it aims to transition its fleet of buses to fully electric vehicles by 2040.
“We’re pleased BC Transit has become one of the early transit providers in Canada to commit to 100% electric buses, joining transit authorities in Montreal and Toronto. Electric buses are a big opportunity both to cut our carbon footprint and to bolster leading Canadian companies, and it’s encouraging to see more Canadian operators commit to zero-emission vehicles.
“Each new bus purchased has a lifespan of at least 10 years, and so it’s important to take steps now to transition bus fleets in order to meet our pollution reduction targets. And by choosing to purchase only fully electric heavy duty buses after 2023, BC Transit is walking the walk.
“In May, Canada and the province of B.C. both made the Drive to Zero pledge, committing to the adoption of more zero-emission commercial vehicles, like buses and trucks. Two months later, we saw the announcement of $79 million in joint municipal, provincial, and federal funding for transit. It’s promising that the B.C. government and BC Transit are using a portion of this funding to transition to zero-emission buses.
“Canadians are now feeling the effects of climate change firsthand, and with around 40% of B.C.’s emissions coming from transportation, electric buses represent a solution in more ways than one. They get passenger cars off the roads, cut emissions, and—because many electric buses are made here in Canada—support Canadian manufacturing.”
- In May, the governments of Canada, B.C., and Vancouver, along with Vancouver transit provider TransLink, all agreed to increase the use of low- and zero-emission commercial vehicles by making the Drive to Zero pledge.
- 13% of the world’s bus fleet is already electric.
- Over 99% of the world’s electric buses are in China.
- Sales of electric buses increased by 40% between 2016 and 2017.
- By 2030, an electric bus will be the same price as a diesel bus, while also saving hundreds of thousands on fuel costs over the bus’s lifetime, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance.
- There are four electric bus manufacturers in Canada: GreenPower Motor Company, The Lion Electric Company, New Flyer Industries, and Nova Bus.
Report | Will Canada Miss the Bus?